PIU (DE) Site Policy
PIU DE SITE POLICY AGREEMENT1
By using this site, you signify your consent to this Policy. If you do not agree to these Terms and Conditions, please do not use the site.
The Pacific Islands University Distance Education (PIU DE) site and the material within it is provided by Pacific Islands University to support the private study of registered students and to facilitate and support the teaching of authorized instructors.
Accessing this site
As an authorized user (student, instructor, IT staff) you are responsible for the security of your username and password.
Please note: You must not share your username and password with others to allow them entry to this site.
You may use the site only for lawful purposes. You must not use the site:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material that does not comply with Content Standards (see below)
- To transmit or procure the sending of any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam)
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses or any other computer code, programs or files designed to destroy, interrupt or limit the functionality of any computer, computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
All students and instructors posting material within the PIU DE site will be held responsible for their own postings. In making a contribution within PIU DE site you grant to the University a non-exclusive, royalty-free license to reproduce, transmit and display all or part of your contribution for the full period of copyright in your contribution for the purposes of the learning, teaching and student assessment components of Pacific Islands University DE courses.
You should not break any copyright regulations (see below) nor submit any illegal, defamatory or offensive material. Neither should you submit material that is liable to disrupt the study of other students (see Content Standards below). Pacific Islands University, through the Academic VP, reserves the right to remove any material that contravenes these terms and conditions. The online environment replicates the standard classroom and appropriate standards of behavior are expected; all students and instructors are expected to respect the rights of other instructors and students within this site. Instructors are authorized to communicate with students whose behavior presents cause for concern and to issue a warning and inform the Academic VP. Continued inappropriate behavior will result in exclusion from the online environment without further notice.
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to the site ('contribution') and to any interactive services or features associated with it, such as the Discussion Forums.
- Be accurate (where they state facts)
- Be genuinely held (where they state opinions)
- Comply with applicable law in the US and the law of the country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
- Contain any material that is likely to offend, provoke or attack other contributors to or users of the site
- Contain any material that is defamatory of any person
- Contain any material that is obscene, offensive, abusive or hateful
- Promote sexually explicit material
- Promote violence or contain a statement or describe or encourage activities that could endanger the safety or well-being of others
- Promote discrimination on the basis of age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, race, religion, or nationality
- Infringe any copyright, trademark or other intellectual property rights of any person or organization
- Advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act or illegal activity
- Be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence
- Be threatening, harass, abuse or invade another's privacy or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to any person
- Be used to impersonate any person or to misrepresent the contributor's identity or affiliation with any person or organization
- Contain any material that contains viruses or any other computer code, programs or files designed to destroy, interrupt or limit the functionality of any computer, computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
Please note: Pacific Islands University, through the Academic VP, reserves the right to review, edit or remove without warning any contribution that in its sole discretion breaches these Content Standards and to take further action as the University feels necessary or is required by law, including the exclusion of the contributor who breaches these Content Standards of the PIU DE site.
Contributions to Discussion Forums are the intellectual property of the contributor and should be acknowledged wherever quoted or referred to by other course participants.
Registered students are also bound by the rules for appropriate use imposed by the PIU Student Handbook (see esp. "Unacceptable Internet Use”).Pacific Islands University reserves the right to submit student work submitted for assessment for the award of credit to an appropriate electronic plagiarism detection service if that work is suspected to be largely composed of plagiarized material. Further information will accompany details relating to assignment submission where relevant.
Please note: Staff and students are reminded that copyright subsists in these learning materials and the works from which they are taken.
Pacific Islands University is the owner of or the licensee of learning materials published on this site, the materials are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. The learning materials are made available for use only by students registered in a course of study with PIU.
Please note: Subject to legal statutory exceptions, the learning materials may be accessed, downloaded and a single copy printed in an unaltered form for your personal study that is not for a direct or indirect commercial use. Any content downloaded or printed may not be sold, resold, licensed, transferred, copied or reproduced in whole or in part in any manner or in or on any media to any person or organization (including sending by email or attachment, posting on another intranet or the Internet on any site) without the prior written consent of the copyright owner/s as identified.
Authors and creators of many of the provided materials have moral rights in their works and neither staff nor students may cause, or permit, the distortion, mutilation or other modification of the works, or any other derogatory treatment of the works, which would be prejudicial to the honor or reputation of the authors or creators of the works. You may not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
PIU DE has made every reasonable effort to locate, contact and acknowledge copyright owners and wishes to be informed by any copyright owners who are not properly identified and acknowledged in these learning materials so that we can make any necessary corrections. Please refer to the Notice and Takedown Policy below.
Limitation of Liability
The learning materials are provided on an 'AS IS' and 'AS AVAILABLE' basis. To the extent permitted by law, the University excludes any representations or any warranties (whether express or implied by law), including the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security, and accuracy.
The learning materials may contain advice, opinions, statements or other information by various authors or organizations. Reliance upon any such advice, opinion, statement or other information is at your risk and to the extent permitted by law, the University disclaims all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such information by any user of the learning materials or by anyone who may be informed of such information.
Where the learning materials provide links to other websites and resources provided by third parties, those links are provided for information only. The University has no control over the contents of those sites or resources or their privacy/data protection policies and accepts no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
In no event shall the University be liable to any party for any of the following losses or damages (whether such losses be foreseen, foreseeable, known or otherwise): loss of data, loss of revenue or anticipated profits, loss of business, loss of opportunity, loss of goodwill or injury to reputation, loss suffered by third parties, any direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential loss or damages arising out of use of the learning materials or reliance on any material or services provided PIU DE website or accessed through it, whether or not amended by third parties and regardless of form of action.
Nothing in these conditions of use is intended to exclude the University's liability for death or personal injury caused by the University's proven negligence or fraudulent misrepresentation.
Notice and Takedown Policy
If you are a copyright owner and are concerned that you have found material in these learning materials for which you have not given permission, or is not covered by a legal statutory exemption, please contact us in writing stating your contact details and the bibliographical details of the material:
Pacific Islands University
172 Kinney's Drive
Mangilao, Guam 96913
Upon receipt of notification, PIU will acknowledge receipt of your complaint by email or letter and will make an initial assessment of the validity and plausibility of the complaint.
Upon receipt of a valid complaint, the material will be temporarily removed from the PIU DE site pending an agreed solution.
Please note: the information entered into your Personal Profile will be available to other students and the instructor(s) on your course(s). External Moderators and Examiners and other administrative and academic staff of the Institute may be granted access to individual courses at the discretion of the Academic VP.
NB To enable your computer to accept cookies from the PIU DE site while retaining a block on other sites, you may need to adjust the settings on your internet browser. See http://www.aboutcookies.org for more detailed guidance.
1 Adapted from University of Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education; http://www.iceonline.cam.ac.uk/file.php/1/site_policy.html (accessed July 12, 2010).